You surely want to take a good school yearbook photo, for you only get to do it once, and it’s what people remember you by for the whole school year. Learn how to look good and look natural in your yearbook photo with these simple tips.
1. Practice smiling in a mirror. It sounds crazy, but figuring out how to make a natural looking smile for the camera does need a little preparation. Don’t be shy! Just imagine you are in front of a camera —hold your head high, look straight into the mirror and smile. Keep practicing until you find out your most attractive smiling face.
2. Choose your color wisely. In yearbook photos, lots of people look good in darker colors because they draw attention to the face. Generally, white often isn’t the best choice because it can make your skin look a bit gray, especially if you’re pale. Besides, stay away from super(超級的)-bright colors (bright yellow, bright blue) unless you’re really sure they make you look perfect.
3. Avoid unnecessary details. Busy patterns draw attention to themselves in yearbook photos, not to your face and smile. Save them for your everyday fashion experiments. Besides, have your clothes prepared for the day when the yearbook photo is taken. The last thing you want to do is pick out the perfect thing to wear, only to find that it’s in the laundry.
4. Avoid big changes to your appearance. Big changes may not turn out the way you hope. Leave some time to do your hair, such as combing(梳頭) it up right before the yearbook photo is taken. Don’t overdo it, since you want your hair to stay in one place and your face to draw all the attention, but go for the “less is more” approach.
1. The best title of this passage is _____.
A. How to Make Yourself Look Good
B. How to Do When Taking a School Photo
C. How to Get Ready for Your School Photo-taking
D. How to Make a Good School Photo Book
2. A bright yellow shirt is not a good choice for taking photos because _____.
A. it reflects light with the brightness
B. it makes people look gray and pale
C. it draws more attention than the face
D. it suits nobody in front of a camera
3. The underlined part “less is more” in the last paragraph means _____.
A. common hair style is more attractive than the over-done
B. simple hair style makes your face more attractive
C. spending less time on hair makes you look more attractive
D. combing the hair up right costs less time but means more
4. During the preparation for photo-taking _____.
A. a camera is needed
B. clothes should be in the laundry
C. fashion should be perfectly showed
D. big changes are not needed
1.【答案】C。解析：考查主旨大意題。根據第一段中Learn how to look good and look natural in your yearbook photo with these simple tips一句可知本文為大家提供了一些關于如何制作好的學校年鑒冊的建議，故選項C正確。
2.【答案】C。解析：考查細節推斷題。根據第二條建議lots of people look good in darker colors because they draw attention to the face一句，可知深些的顏色有助于把注意力集中在臉上，那么過于鮮艷的顏色作用恰恰相反，故答案選C。
3.【答案】B。解析：考查詞義推斷題。根據最后一段中Don’t overdo it, since you want your hair to stay in one place and your face to draw all the attention, but go for the “less is more”approach一部分可知不要讓你的發型”喧賓奪主”，故less is more意為：不要在發型上花費太多心思，這樣就會更有吸引力。答案B正確。
4.【答案】D。解析：考查細節題。根據最后一段中Big changes may not turn out the way you hope一句可知，不要在外表上做太大改動。故答案D正確。
Just as some people think that certain numbers are lucky or unlucky, others believe that we can use numbers to understand our personalities, or predict what will happen to us in the future.
Numerology is a way of using numbers to describe a person’s character, and to make predictions about future life events. Numerologists use the numbers 1-9, 11 and 22 — also known as the “master” numbers — to help a person understand his or her personality, life goals, and destiny.
Numerologists consider your Life Path number to be the most significant because this number describes your character. To find this number, add together all the numbers in your date of birth. For example, a person born on April 25, 1985 would add the month (4), to the numbers of the date (2+5), plus the numbers of the birth year (1+9+8+5). In this case the total is 34, so this person’s life path number is 7(3+4). Numerologists believe that people with this number are peaceful and affectionate but can also be very reserved.
Your Expression number describes your talents and predicts how you should use these to fulfill your destiny in life. Numerologists assign a number between 1 and 9 to each of the letters in your name. These numbers are then added together in the same way as before to find your Expression number. Numerologists can also do calculations to predict when the most challenging periods of your life will be.
Numerologists also believe that the day a person is born is important. Each day of the month has a character description. People born on the fourth are said to be responsible, honest, and stubborn. People born on the fifteenth have very strong attachments to family and home. Those who celebrate their birthday on the thirtieth are artistic, creative, and imaginative, and often make good writers.
If we calculate the numerical value of our name and birth date, numerologists believe that we can learn more about our personalities. They also believe that we can predict our destinies, how our lives will progress, and what challenges we may face along the way. To the numerologist, numbers can be used in many more ways than we think.
1. If a person was born on November 8, 1995, what is his Life Path number?
A. 7 B. 8 C. 9 D. 11
2. To understand your abilities and how to use them in your life, you should calculate your _____.
A. Life Path number B. Expression number
C. birthday D. name and birth date
3. According to the passage, a person born on the fifteenth tends to be _____.
A. stubborn B. home-loving C. artistic D. imaginative
4. According to the passage, numerologists believe that _____.
A. Life Path number can be used to predict a person’s most challenging life periods
B. Expression number is the most meaningful for people to learn a person’s character
C. numbers can help people better understand themselves
D. numbers can be used to change a person’s future
5. The function of the passage is _____.
A. to raise doubts about the usefulness of numerology
B. to persuade readers about the benefits of the practices it describes
C. to describe some of the numerological practices and their purpose
D. to tease those who take such beliefs seriously
2.【答案】B。解析：考查細節理解題。根據第4段第一行Your Expression number describes your talents and predicts how you should use these to fulfill your destiny in life.
3.【答案】B。解析：考查細節理解題。根據倒數第2段第3行People born on the fifteenth have very strong attachments to family and home.故選B。
4.【答案】C。解析：考查細節理解題。根據文章第一段內容尤其是others believe that we can use numbers to understand our personalities, or predict what will happen to us in the future.可知C正確。